Graphic and Web Designer
Position: Graphic and Web Designer
Status: Full Time, Exempt
Location: Anywhere in the United States convenient to regular travel
Deadline: February 21, 2018 (resumes reviewed on a rolling basis)
With 90,000 alumni and 400 partner organizations in all 50 states, Wellstone is the progressive movement's premier center for public and political leadership development, supporting frontline organizations, movement leaders, activists, candidates, and campaigners across the country. We lead with a race-forward and gender forward analysis in our work, and we prioritize partnering with communities who have been historically excluded from our current public and political leadership structures.
Headquartered in Minnesota, with staff and trainers anchored across the nation, we bring the hard skills and necessary strategies that help progressives build stronger organizations and run smarter campaigns to win immediate change and build enduring governing power. Founded in 2003, Wellstone ignites leadership in people and power in communities to win change in the progressive tradition of Paul and Sheila Wellstone.
As Wellstone’s Graphic and Web Designer, you’re the in-house creative with a keen sense of design for good; you possess strong aesthetic skills and sensitivity. You will have a record of success with work requiring complex planning, cross-team collaboration, management of large documents, and exacting attention to detail. You also have excellent writing, verbal, graphic, and presentation skills, including clarity and attention to tone. You get excited about producing beautiful branded materials (digital and print publications, promotional materials, and multimedia projects). Reporting to the Director of Communications and Marketing, this position will work collaboratively with the full staff to bring the Wellstone brand to life online AND offline.
We’re a team of passionate, leaderful, and warm individuals with many stories to tell -- help us tell that story in a way that’s beautiful, simple, and accessible. And you’ll be joining a highly strategic, results-driven, big-hearted, and good-humored organization that cares as much about our people as we do about the work (so: a lot).
Visual and Brand Identity:
- You will ensure consistent use of Wellstone’s brand and visual identity throughout the organization, (including publications and presentations, curricula, direct mail, fundraising solicitations, funder proposals and reports, newsletters, and other collateral).
- You will provide expertise and insight into ongoing branding activities.
- You'll work daily to engage millions of Americans across the country with our brand, programs, and offerings.
Design & Production:
- You will conceptualize and produce fundraising and donor stewardship pieces, in close collaboration with our Development team and external vendors.
- You will create marketing materials for our program and training curricula, in close collaboration with staff across the country.
- You will work closely with external vendors to drive on-time execution of projects and deliverables.
- You will collaborate with the Communications and Marketing team and other creative stakeholders on larger projects and campaigns, including videos and website projects.
Media and Asset Management:
- You will assist in photography, photo selection, and video production (as needed).
- You will manage design templates for various projects and work closely with staff to design products that support their work.
- You will design materials for social media campaigns and support digital initiatives.
- Daily projects will include social media graphics, printed materials for events and press, photograph selection and collaborating with Communications and Marketing Director, Deputy Communications Director, and other creative stakeholders on larger projects and campaigns, including videos and website projects.
Project Management and Execution Leadership:
- You will execute projects from kickoff to completion, including coordination of resources, meetings, and feedback while diligently working to ensure all projects are on track, on time, and within budget.
- You will collaborate with various stakeholders and internal team members in producing relevant materials
Who You Are:
- Inspires confidence: you’re an outstanding team player who is able to earn cross-functional team confidence through thought leadership and influencing skills.
- Ownership: you care deeply about getting results in your realm, and you do what it takes to get them, including paying attention to even small details, anticipating problems, offering creative solutions, driving work forward, and course-correcting when needed.
- Committed to progressive, inclusive leadership: you value and prioritize work with diverse coalitions and communities.
- Highly relational: you believe in the importance of relationship-building for success, both with various stakeholders and internal team members in producing relevant content that meets the need of our audience.
- Tenacious and flexible: you demonstrate a “getting to yes” attitude and a propensity for working through roadblocks and achieving your goals.
- Organized: you are adept at managing several projects at once, with strong organizational systems that let you stay on top of each aspect of your work.
- Critical thinker: you balance carrying out the day-to-day work with asking key questions about how the work will contribute to our goals and offering alternatives that may be more strategic and impactful.
- High standards and peak performance: you have a drive toward ambition and delivering excellent work, both directly and through your team.
- Strong self-initiative and the ability to work independently: you’re able to own significant projects and follow through to completion without heavy day-to-day supervision and oversight.
- Openness to giving and receiving feedback for continuous learning and improvement: you’re committed to building your own skills as well as building the skills and capacity of your colleagues.
- Deep and demonstrated commitment to racial, social, economic, and gender justice
- A great sense of humor: we’re serious about not taking ourselves too seriously.
Experience and Skills:
- Demonstrable understanding of typography, composition, and color
- Experience creating and managing web content; familiarity with content management systems.
- Understanding of professional print and web design standards
- Proficiency in Adobe CS tools (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop) as well as HTML and CSS skills
- A creative portfolio that features typography work and creative branding projects (only candidates with portfolios or work samples will be considered)
- Photography and video production skills desired, but not required.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurialism, innovation, and creativity: having imagined and built something new in the world
- Aptitude for learning new technologies quickly and a motivation to seek data to inform your work
- Willingness to work non-standard hours, including weekends, and travel when required.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation for this position is highly competitive, with a starting salary of $50,000. Wellstone offers a comprehensive benefits package with excellent health/dental/life/disability insurance; exceptionally generous and flexible paid time off; 401k retirement benefits; FSA enrollment; and more. Check out our full benefits summary, and more about our organizational culture.
Wellstone offers a lively and rewarding environment, one grounded in community and continuous learning. We are headquartered in Saint Paul, MN, and half of our staff are based here with the other half based out of their homes in states across the country. This position may be located anywhere in the United States convenient to regular travel.
Application Deadline and Instructions
This position is open until filled. The deadline for application submission is February 21, 2018, and we will review resumes received on a rolling basis. Please email your letter of interest, resume, and at least 2 examples of your creative work (links to portfolios or work preferred) to email@example.com. Please be sure to specify “Graphic and Web Designer” in the subject line.
Wellstone is an equal opportunity employer. And we’re also an organization that’s guided primarily by people of color, women, immigrants, queer people, and working-class people. We eagerly invite people of color, Native American and Indigenous people, immigrants, women, genderqueer and gender nonconforming people, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, and other underrepresented and marginalized communities to apply for all open positions at Wellstone. For more about our work building a country where “we all do better when we all do better,” check us out at www.wellstone.org.