Digital Engagement Manager
Position: Digital Engagement Manager
Status: Full Time, Exempt
Location: Anywhere in the United States convenient to regular travel
Deadline: Monday, August 28th (resumes reviewed on a rolling basis)
With 90,000 alumni and 400 partner organizations in all 50 states, Wellstone is the progressive movement's premier center for public and political leadership development, supporting frontline organizations, movement leaders, activists, candidates, and campaigners across the country. We lead with a race-forward and gender-forward analysis in all of our work, and we prioritize partnering with communities who have been historically excluded from our current public and political leadership structures.
Headquartered in Minnesota, with staff and trainers anchored across the nation, we bring the hard skills and necessary strategies that help progressives build stronger organizations and run smarter campaigns to win immediate change and build enduring governing power. Founded in 2003, Wellstone ignites leadership in people and power in communities to win change in the progressive tradition of Paul and Sheila Wellstone.
As Wellstone’s Digital Engagement Manager, you get the excellent job of sharing our stories and amplifying our successes with a variety of stakeholders across the country.
You are a sharp, curious, organized, and agile individual who believes in the power of narrative and storytelling to change the world. You’re an excellent communicator -- both written and oral -- with demonstrated success in writing and designing compelling content. You have strong interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence, exceptional judgment, and can easily work among and between teams to drive initiatives forward. You have a background in the nonprofit sector, political campaigns, or the social good space and have deep empathy and understanding for the racial, gender, and economic justice lenses that are required to organize successfully in today’s world. You have a growth mindset and are excited to grow into your leadership potential here and beyond. And you’ll be joining a highly strategic, results-driven, big-hearted, and good-humored organization that cares as much about our people as we do about the work (so: a lot).
Reporting to the Director of Communications and Marketing, you will lead the overarching digital strategy and execution for Wellstone’s online presence and programs. This role weaves together insights and stories from Wellstone’s national network of partner organizations, alumni, and potential activists to inform communications strategy, develops marketing plans that align our programs to key audiences, and creates content online and offline that tells the Wellstone story.
Content creation with creative muscle:
- Develop and maintain a content calendar across platforms, programs, and teams;
- Work in close partnership with the Communications and Marketing Director to enhance current digital content, design, and user experience based on data and research
- Build, customize, and utilize social media analytics to measure and improve the work of our organization in reaching and engaging target audiences;
- Build and engage audiences using your interest and experience in list growth and acquisition;
- Manage and grow Wellstone’s email marketing program to both internal and external audiences.
Digital storytelling and movement building expertise:
- Develop campaigns and narratives for our various audiences with the goals of awareness, mobilization, and fundraising;
- Actively center the perspectives of the communities Wellstone partners with and serves;
Integrate diverse voices, viewpoints, and strategies into the work.
Design and management of collateral, campaign, and brandmaterial:
- Support materials preparation and event execution for development, communications, board meetings, and other events;
- Ensure consistent use of Wellstone’s brand and visual identity throughout the organization, (including publications and presentations, curricula, direct mail, fundraising solicitations, funder proposals and reports, newsletters, and other collateral) as well as effective communication of Wellstone’s mission, strategy, and accomplishments;
Collaborate with various stakeholders and internal team members in producing relevant content that meets the need of our audiences internally and externally
Project management and execution leadership:
- Execute projects from kickoff to completion, including coordination of resources, meetings, and feedback while diligently working to ensure all projects are on track, on time, and within budget;
Collaborate with various stakeholders and internal team members in producing relevant materials
Who You Are:
- Inspires confidence: you’re an outstanding team player who is able to earn cross-functional team confidence through thought leadership and influencing skills
- Ownership: you care deeply about getting results in your realm, and you do what it takes to get them, including paying attention to even small details, anticipating problems, offering creative solutions, driving work forward, and course-correcting when needed
- Committed to progressive, inclusive leadership: you value and prioritize work with diverse coalitions and communities
- Highly relational: you believe in the importance of relationship-building for success, both with various stakeholders and internal team members in producing relevant content that meets the need of our audience
- Tenacious and flexible: you demonstrate a “getting to yes” attitude and a propensity for working through roadblocks and achieving your goals
- Organized: you are adept at managing several projects at once, with strong organizational systems that let you stay on top of each aspect of your work
- Critical thinker: you balance carrying out the day-to-day work with asking key questions about how the work will contribute to our goals and offering alternatives that may be more strategic and impactful
- High standards and peak performance: you have a drive toward ambition and delivering excellent work, both directly and through your team
- Strong self-initiative and the ability to work independently: you’re able to own significant projects and follow through to completion without heavy day-to-day supervision and oversight
- Openness to giving and receiving feedback for continuous learning and improvement: you’re committed to building your own skills as well as building the skills and capacity of your colleagues
- Deep and demonstrated commitment to racial, social, economic, and gender justice
- A great sense of humor – we’re serious about not taking ourselves too seriously.
Experience and Skills
- 3-5 years of combined experience in digital communications and marketing, with an emphasis on developing campaign strategy online and storytelling/narrative development
- Excellent written and oral communications skills with the ability to communicate effectively for diverse audiences
- Proficiency with content management, email marketing, web editing, and social marketing platforms
- Familiarity with graphic design and production skills
- Demonstrated entrepreneurialism, innovation, and creativity: having imagined and built something new in the world
- Aptitude for learning new technologies quickly and a motivation to seek data to inform your work
- Willingness to work non-standard hours, including weekends, and travel when required.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation for this position is highly competitive, and Wellstone offers a comprehensive benefits package with excellent health/dental/life/disability insurance; exceptionally generous and flexible paid time off; 401k retirement benefits; FSA enrollment; and more. Check out our full benefits summary, and more about our organizational culture, here.
Wellstone offers a lively and rewarding environment, one grounded in community and continuous learning. We are headquartered in Saint Paul, MN, and half of our staff are based here with the other half based out of their homes in states across the country. This position may be located anywhere in the United States convenient to regular travel.
Application Deadline and Instructions
This position is open until filled. The deadline for application submission is August 28th, and we will review resumes received on a rolling basis.
Please email your letter of interest, resume, 2 examples of your creative work, and the answer to following question to firstname.lastname@example.org: What’s the title of the blog post you would write if you were hired at Wellstone, and why?
Please be sure to specify “Digital Engagement Manager” in the subject line.
Wellstone is an equal opportunity employer. And we’re also an organization that’s guided primarily by people of color, women, immigrants, queer people, and working-class people. We eagerly invite people of color, Native American and Indigenous people, immigrants, women, genderqueer and gender nonconforming people, LGBTQ people, people with disabilities, and other underrepresented and marginalized communities to apply for all open positions at Wellstone. For more about our work building a country where “we all do better when we all do better,” check us out at www.wellstone.org.